We had the good fortune of connecting with Michelle Post and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Michelle, we’d love to hear more about how you thought about starting your own business?
I have had the entrepreneurial spirit since I was 7 years old. And opened my first business when I was 18. Since then, I have started and run four businesses before starting my fifth and current business, The Post Institute: Center for Life-Long Learning. My thought process for starting this business was to offer adult training and development in social media, business, and professional development. After working in multiple industries, I realized there was an opportunity to create a center for learning tailored to working adults’ needs. Thus, the dream of The Post Institute: Center for Life-Long Learning was born in Oct 2013. The Institute is an alternative to traditional training and development.
What sets me apart from others?
I think what sets The Post Institute: Center for Life-Long Learning apart is the desire we must encourage, educate, empower, and equip others. We want to leave a legacy of learning built upon the belief that everyone has a unique gift waiting on them to be discovered and used to make the world a better place. We are built on the foundations of love, faith, and belief. Learning is possible for anyone.
What are you most proud of or excited about?
I am most proud of the environment we create to inspire others. We create an environment that encourages sharing knowledge, talent, skills, and gifts.
How did you get to where you are today professionally?
To get where I am, it took a lot of hard work and 1,000s of hours of learning and development. If I want to achieve a goal, I have learned to create a plan, map my way to success, and then act. I am an avid learner and reader, and both passions have helped me get to where I am. However, I did not get where I am alone. I have been blessed by so many people that have helped me along the way.
Was it easy? If not, how did you overcome the challenges?
It was not easy, but it is the trials and tribulations that help develop me. To overcome challenges, I lean on my faith. It is my faith and belief in God that has gotten me where I am. However, I also know God has always provided the right gifts, opportunities, and people to help me succeed.
What are the lessons you have learned along the way?
It takes hard work, determination, planning, and perseverance to succeed. I have learned I need to adapt to internal and external forces, pivot when necessary, and embrace change.
What do you want the world to know about you or your brand and story?
If you are a self-determined and self-directed learner, we are here to help. We trigger critical thinking, common sense, and creativity to increase self-confidence and self-efficacy to bring a change within. I want others to realize that who they are matters. My purpose is to encourage others to believe in themselves and share their story. We need each other’s gifts and stories.
Let us say your best friend was visiting the area and you wanted to show them the best time ever. Where would you take them? Give us a little itinerary – say it was a week-long trip, where would you eat, drink, visit, hang out, etc.
I love sharing my state with others. Colorado has so many great attractions and incredible stories. If my friend is not from CO, I always start them at a lower altitude to ensure they do not get sick due to higher elevations and lower oxygen.
These are just a few of my favorite places to visit in Colorado:
- Monument and Palmer Lake – sharing all the cool histories that surround both towns. For example, Monument, CO, was known for the potatoes it grew.
- Hiking Spruce Mountain provides a beautiful view of the entire area.
- Hiking Fox Run Regional Park to visit the Culturally Modified Trees, better known as the Ute Indian Prayer Trees.
South and West
- Garden of the Gods is my favorite place. I take visitors for the red rocks are breathtaking
- Drinks and dessert at the Broadmoor Hotel Resort
- Pikes Peak Mountain via the Cog Train. The views are beautiful, and the donuts at the gift shop are amazing
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Cave of the Winds, Manitou downtown, and Miramont Castle
- Woodland Park for breakfast at the Bear restaurant followed by hiking at Mueller State Park, before ending up in Cripple Creek for gambling, gold mines, and trains South
- The Royal Gorge Train and Park or rafting the Arkansas River
- Jim Bishop castle in the San Isabel National Forest. The castle must be seen to be appreciated. Jim Bishop designed, cleared the land, milled the lumber, cut the stone, molded the rot iron, and put it all together to create his dream.
- Golden, CO to visit the Coors Brewery, Lookout Mountain, and the grave of Wild Bill Cody
- Idaho Springs and the Phoenix Mine for gold panning
- Georgetown and the Georgetown Loop Train
- High-tea at the Brown Palace in Denver, CO
- Estes Park for hiking, visiting the Stanley Hotel, and viewing the amazing elks
There are so many other great locations: the 4-Corners, riding the Durango to Silverton train, Colorado National Monument, Dinosaur National Monument, riding all the steam engines in CO, zip-lining the Royal Gorge, visiting our 42 beautiful state parks, visiting the castles of Colorado, and taking part of all of the amazing winter towns and activities.
Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
The Post Institute: Center for Life-Long Learning is a dream from God. He has made it possible to have a venue to serve others with their needs for social media and business training and development. However, it does take a village to run a business. I have been blessed with several amazing people who are there for me: my husband and greatest supporter, Larry Post; my writing and spiritual mentor, Sandra Aldrich; Dr. Mac McGuire. Dr. Cynthia Scarlett, Chris Brogan, Dr. Cindy Gasaway, Dr. James Pinkney, III, Dr. John Dunsmoor, and many other amazing individuals. I have been blessed with a support network of experts that I can easily go to when I encounter a problem.
Other: Pinterest – https://www.pinterest.com/mpostphd/ Amazon Author Page – http://www.amazon.com/author/drmichellepost
All images are owned by Dr. Michelle Post