Taking Chances: reflections on risk

Shoot your shot? Take a chance? Society bombards us with messages, phrases, examples and stories of how taking risk is the key to success, but is anything ever that simple? We asked some of the brightest folks we know to tell us about how they think about risk. We’ve shared their responses below.

Justin Abeles | Photographer, Snowboard Instructor, Fisheries Biologist

Risk taking has always been a part of my life, but as I’ve become older it has been more calculated. I think risk is necessary to get anywhere in life and weighing the pros and cons is something that should always be considered. Read more>> 

Christy Avis | Energetics, Human Design and Strategic Business Coach

In my life and my business, I’ve always taken risks with the mindset of “what decision would the future version of me make who knew it would all work out?” And from that space, I’ve had illogical results within my business and my income because I made decisions to invest not from what was comfortable, but from where I wanted to be. Read more>>

Sheila Dunn | Oil Painter or Artist

Taking the giant leap into being a full time artist was undoubtedly one of the biggest risks of my life. While any career leap feels risky, a leap into a creative career is also laden with so many societal notions around being a “starving artist” & unsolicited advice to “keep your day job too”. Read more>> 

Ricky Feria | Musician & songwriter

Risk taking has played a big role in my music career. When deciding to stop going to Architecture school to pursue being a full time musician I took a major risk. My thought process was simple and even though it was a risky move I knew it was truly what I needed to do to be happy so I went ahead with the decision and it has had a very big role in the rest of my career. Read more>>

Drake Carnahan | Landscape Design, Holistic Educator, Community Builder, Intuitive Guide

It took me a long time to understand how my impulse to take risks could be channeled into business development. Far before having a successful outlet for entrepreneurship, I was motivated by a dichotomy of unjustified fearlessness coupled with a plague of underlying insecurities. Read more>>

Lacy Boggs | Content Marketing Strategist & Director of The Content Direction Agency

When it comes to most things in business, I’m pretty risk-averse. I don’t take on debt. I invest in things only when I see that there could be a strong ROI. I generally play it safe. But the one place I do embrace some risk is creatively. I mean, that’s pretty much my entire business: helping people stand out with content marketing. Read more>>

Matthew Fields | Landscape Designer

When given an opportunity that is risky, I approach it with pragmatic calculation. It is important to weigh all options, assess the resources available, and consider all variables for the possible outcomes. We can only control what we can control, but it doesn’t hurt to have Plan A to Plan Z. Read more>>

Mykaela “Myki” Jones | Independent Contractor

I think of risk as just a part of everyday life. Think about it, every day you wake up and take risks ranging from small to large. Weighting the balance and benefit of a risk to me is as routine as brushing my teeth or taking a shower. My career as a writer and freelance contractor has been full of risks. Read more>>

Chris Fisher | Mountain Athlete & World Record breaker

Risk tolerance/raking is the key ingredient in life. I see it as, if you live life and never take any risks then you will live the same life and have no idea what else is out there for you. To experience more than you’ve experienced in the past you have to take risks. Everybody’s tolerance to risk is different. Read more>>

Sarah Piampiano | Elite Athlete & REALTOR

Generally speaking I am a big risk taker. I have always said that if something has a 100% chance of failure, then of course I am not going to do it. But if something has a 99% chance of failure, and a 1% chance of success, I love those odds. I love betting on myself, and I love the challenge of being that 1% that succeeds. Read more>>

Lily Grace Nolan | Illustrator & Designer

You have to take risks. Full stop! Period. End of Story… I remember back in the early stages of when i decided to really dive into freelance design and illustration full time, I was nervous about putting myself out there, worried about optics, if people would “like” things, etc, then i got some great advice: Read more>>

Nicki Marx | Creates amazing,strong, beautiful, and unique sculpture and wall works made only with natural materials.

My whole adult life has been a risk: making art is a risk. I am manifesting something that has never been done before and there are no guidelines or guarantees– that is a risk. I live on the edge financially because of this risk, but I also take the risk of believing in myself , my vision/work. It is working out pretty well so far…. Read more>>

Natalia Parrado | Architectural engineer & entrepreneur

the same time, you feel the adrenaline running through your veins and it is exciting. In my life, taking risks has played an important role in making me who I am; I don´t regret the risks that I have taken, even though I faced some tough time as a result. Read more>>

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Article